Introverts unite!

An Evening of Art with Friends

By 6:52 PM , , , , , , , , , , , ,

A friend of mine, Lea, and I have been meaning to see each other for a while but just couldn't find ourselves in the same area at the same time. But she graduated from college recently, moved closer to my neighborhood and finally, after what seemed like forever, our schedules matched. 

On the day we planned to meet, the June Artwalk was also happening so I suggested we explore it instead of the stereotypical dinner and conversation. She let me know a few of her friends are coming along - the more, the merrier! We hit the Museum of Contemporary Art (MoCA) first since I felt that it's a good way to start an evening of art.

It was an enjoyable time as I got re-acquainted with some abstract artists I like and met a few new contemporary artists as well.

Heart and Mind by Elizabeth Murray

The Egg by David Altmejd
She's Egungun by Wangechi Mutu
One of the art works I fell in love with at the Artwalk.

A couple of us were famished after walking around MoCA so we decided to go to the Grand Central Market and enjoy the myriad of food choices there. Afterwards, we walked along Gallery Row to peruse artworks by local artists all while headed to The Last Bookstore. It's one of my favorite bookstores of all time, and for good reason. It houses a labyrinth teeming with books, vinyl, artworks and wonderful art installations. They also have poetry readings, book signings and music events from time to time. If you haven't been, you're missing out.

I also came across 37 collections of Sherlock Holmes stories for only $10, and it totally made my day! Arthur Conan Doyle is one of my favorite whodunit writers, and I think I've read most, if not all, of his Sherlock Holmes anthologies.

I had such a good time with Lea, Gina, Kathy & Fermin, and the fact that I was surrounded by wonderful art works just made the evening all the more great. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments